The contract to build the new chair lift was granted in 1951 to Mr. Von Roll of
Berne by SFSM. On 8 July 1953 the new chair lift of Mt.Vesuvius was inaugurated.
It was the first twin-seat plant with moving chairs in Italy and cost only
one-third of what it would have cost to rebuild the funicular.
The new Vesuvius chair lift inaugurated in 1953
On 31 May 1961, the "Vesuvius Railway and Funicular Company" changed its company
title in "Vesuvius chair lift and bus-line" and was controlled by
Circumvesuviana. The plant could transport until 1000 persons daily. As the
years went by, it became not much suitable to transport tourists, because unable
to transport at the same time the numerous groups. From 1953 to 1984 the plant
has almost transported 100.000 persons, half of which were foreigners. In 1984,
for the reasons previously cited, the chair lift was stopped for ever.
At present, Mt.Vesuvius can be visited by car. The road leaves near Ercolano's
toll-booth of Napoli-Salerno motorway.
The road that leads to the
It is asphalted and 13 km long. After Vesuvius Observatory the road forks; a
branch takes to ex-Inferior Station of chair lift, the other stops to an
altitude of 1017 meter. Here, a comfortable path takes visitors to the crater.
Besides, a bus route links Ercolano-Scavi Station of Circumvesuviana with