Vesuvioinrete.it, mt. Vesuvius online

 

home>funicular, railway and chairlift>carriages

Funicular - Carriages

funicular | railway | chairlift

 history | stations | carriages | plants | photos | funiculý funiculÓ

 

Carriages list:

Period of office

Seat

Standing rooms

1880 - 1888

8

-

1889 - 1904

10

-

1905 - 1906

18

6

1909 - 1944

16

8

 

 

From 1880 to 1888:

The first funicular carriages were assured to the earth by two big wheel positioned at the front and back, and four small. The big wheel slid on a central rail, hooked to an oak beam, 26 cm wide and 47 cm thick. The small ones, instead, slid on two lateral rail and maintained the carriages equilibrium. The two carriages, each one weighing about 50 quintals, with a capacity for eight passengers and a driver, were named "Etna and "Vesuvio". They were provided with an emergency brake which could hold tight to the central beam in case the cable got broken. (see drawing)


First carriage in office from 1880 to 1888

 

From 1889 to 1904:

The extortional imposition of the local guides, who cast a carriage down the abyss, obliged J.M.Cook to put into service two new carriages, also named "Etna" and "Vesuvio"; substantially identical in the mechanism, the basic structure and the line equipment, they consisted of three open compartments with a capacity for ten passengers and one driver. (see drawing)


Carriage in office from 1889 al 1904

From 1905 to 1906:

The doubled number of tourists, induced Cook Company to put into service two new carriages. These metre gauge carriages made in Switzerland, could transport eighteen seated passengers and six more standing on the two platforms; each one weighing about 4 tons, was supported by four wheels, and had doors to enter the three compartments. On the sides, they bore the inscription "Thomas Cook and Son" and "Ferrovia Vesuviana". But the 1906 eruption destroyed them. (see drawing)


Carriage in office from 1904 al 1906 (Postcards Coll. E.Bevere)

From 1909 to 1944 :

The new funicular of 1909, realized thanks to the engineer Enrico Treiber, had new carriages, that could go on for simple adhesion. Provided with five campartments, they could now carry sixteen seated passengers, plus eight people standing on the two platforms. They are self-propelling, thaks to two scrolls running on overhanging lines providing for the drawing of 550 Volts in direct current, which fed an electric engine installed on board and permitted also the functioning of bell-signals, telephonic connection, and carriage internal lighting. In this way the line could work till after sunset, usually from 15th May to 15th September. (see poster)


Carriage in office from 1909 al 1944 (Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)

 



HOW TO ARRIVE    THE VOLCANO    HISTORY AND ERUPTIONS    THE NATIONAL PARK
MEDIA GALLERY     THE OLD FUNICULAR    
THE VESUVIUS OBSERVATORY

 

Copyright ę  Vesuvioinrete.it - All right reserved