Vesuvioinrete.it, mt. Vesuvius online

 

home>funicular, railway and chairlift>stations

Funicular - Stations

funicular | railway | chairlift

 history | stations | carriages | plants | photos | funiculý funiculÓ

 

From 1880 to 1906

The first Vesuvius funicular was completed in 1880. The lower station was situated on the south-west side of volcano cone at the altitude of 791 meter. Next to it, there were a restaurant-cafe in pompeian style, big enough to host about one hundred people, a telegraph-office, a stable, a small tavern for the servants and big covered basins to collect rain water to supply the steam-engine with. From this point, the carriage, on a path about 830 meter long with a gradient varying from 45 % to 63 %, overcame a difference in level about 400 meter long, arriving to the upper station, a small wooden building at the altitude of 1181 meter and at about 200 meter from the cone summit. The building above-mentioned remained unchanged during the renewal works of 1904, but were then destroyed from 1906 eruption, buried by an ash blanket


Lower Station in office from 1880 to 1906


Upper Station in office from 1880 to 1906

 

From 1909 to 1944:

In 1909 the funicular installation was rebuild thanks to the engineer Enrico Treiber. The new lower station was built, this time, at an altitude of 754 meter. Carriages overcame a difference in level about 420 meter long, arriving to the upper station at the altitude of 1175 meter. Here a comfortable path of 400 meter permitted to gain in a few minutes the cone at an altitude of 1165, overcoming a difference in level 26 meter long. But upper station's life lasted a little time. It was destroyed from 1911 eruption and rebuilt at an altitude of 1137 meter. After 35 years also 1909 installation was destroyed from 1944 eruption and never rebuilt. The lower station, which survived to the eruption, was renewed in 1953 and with opportune changes became the lower station of the new chair lift.


The new Lower Station in office from 1909 to 1944


The new Upper Station in office from 1911 to 1944 (Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)
 



HOW TO ARRIVE    THE VOLCANO    HISTORY AND ERUPTIONS    THE NATIONAL PARK
MEDIA GALLERY     THE OLD FUNICULAR    
THE VESUVIUS OBSERVATORY

 

Copyright ę  Vesuvioinrete.it - All right reserved