Vesuvioinrete.it, mt. Vesuvius online

 

home>funicular, railway and chairlift>carriages

Railway - Carriages

funicular | railway | chairlift

 history | stations | carriages | plants | cook station | photos

 

Here is the rolling stock of Vesuvius Railway:

Type

Number

Entrance

Seats

Constructor

Push Engine

1-2

1903

-

SLM of Winterthur

3

1906

-

SLM of Winterthur

Elettric carriages

1-2-3

1903

24

Schweizer Waggon AG

4-5

1913

34

Schweizer Waggon AG

6-7

1929

44

O.F.M. of Napoli

Goods wagon

2

n.d.

-

n.d.

 

Electric carriage n░1, 2 and 3


Carriage n░1 (Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)


Carriage n░2


Carriage n░3

They were built by Schweiger Waggon AG of Schlieren (Zurich). Each carriage, with the same size of a tram contained 24 seats distributed in three compartments open at window level provided with lateral doors, and curtains to be used in case of sun or rain. The driving platforms which were originally open, were closed after about 1910, keeping a strange projection. They were provided with four indipendent braking system: an electromagnetical brake on the track, a driving brake, a manual one and a seven position aerostatic one with a returning gear. The operating tension was 550 Volts. Later on they were set aside in new railcars favour.

 

Electric carriage n░ 4 and 5


Carriage n░4


Carriage n░5

In 1913 F.V. bought two new carriage built by Schweiger Waggon AG of Schlieren (Zurich), too. They were more capacious providing with 34 seats to which passengers, could enter by four doors sideways. They presented a more innovative line, with two big light on the frontals and two company moulding on the sides. The electric and mechanical scheme remained unchanged. (see drawing)

Electric carriage n░ 6 and 7


Carriage n░6 (Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)


Carriage n░7 (Foto Vesuvioinrete.it)

In 1929 two new railcars were put into office. They were built by Southern Railways Workshops of Naples with a new metal body unlike older carriages, which had a wood body, providing with 44 seats to wich passengers could enter by four doors for each side. They were more narrow and more long and had two big light and the own number on the frontals like carriages n. 4 and 5.

Push engines n░ 1, 2 and 3


Rack-locomotive n░1, 2 and 3 (Brown Boveri Archive)

They were built by SLM of Winterthur; n.1 and 2 were put into service in 1903 while n.3, distinguishable for the rounded roof only in 1906. They were three axles rack locomotives, in which the propelling cog-wheel was located on the middle one. Each locomotive weighed 10,5 tons and thanks to two 85 H.P. engines, pushed a carriage of 11 tons maintaining a constant speed of 7 km/h, on the tract S.Vito-Eremo, characterized with a gradient of 18 to 25 %. Being shunt engines, there was possibility to recover 60 % of power used getting on, as a dinamo. They were provided with a band double brake acting on the drums of the propelling cog-wheel and of the brake cog-wheel, a band double brake acting on the engines; an automatic brake which starts working when the speed exceeds the fixed limit, acts on the engines, and at the same time takes the current off such engines.

 

Goods wagons


Goods wagon n░2 of the Fifties (Foto Vesuvioinrete.it)
 

We hadn't exact informations about goods wagons of Vesuvius Railway. They were one or two, and we know they were used for transport of materials necessary to the chair lift construction.
 

HOW TO ARRIVE    THE VOLCANO    HISTORY AND ERUPTIONS    THE NATIONAL PARK
MEDIA GALLERY     THE OLD FUNICULAR    
THE VESUVIUS OBSERVATORY

 

Copyright ę  Vesuvioinrete.it - All right reserved