Vesuvioinrete.it, mt. Vesuvius online

 

home>funicular, railway and chairlift>stations

Railway - Stations

funicular | railway | chairlift

 history | stations | carriages | plants | cook station | photos

 

Station list

Station

Altitude

Progressive distance

Pugliano (from 1913)

70

0 m

Olivi (until al 1913)

90

450 m

Power Station

250

3800 m

Eremo

575

5375 m

Lower Station

754

7650 m

Pugliano Station


Pugliano (ex Vesuvio) Station in the years following to 1930

It was a nice building made out of tufa, bricks and lavic stones with a characteristic turret and a poetical veranda always open, protected by a shelter covered with the evergreen Eleagnus ferrugineum. A clean well-gravelled square separed the Circumvesuviana and the Vesuviana station of Pugliano, down-dale the first, up-hill the second one. On 1928 the "Vesuvius" Station became "Pugliano" station. It has been demolished for in 1972-73 the Circumvesuviana Railway was transformed into a metro and partly put below ground.

 

Olivi Station


Olivi Station before its suppression in 1913
(Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)

It was the starting station, above the sanctuary of Pugliano, realized with excellent pine-wood just like Eremo station. Here, tourists could buy souvenirs, postcards, pamphlets and guide books. On 6th January 1913 it was replaced by the new station "Vesuvio", in Pugliano, 450 meter down in front of Resina station of Circumvesuviana Railway.

Power Station


The Power Station-Shed engine in the years following to 1930
(Funiculý funiculÓ - Gamboni, Neri)

It was a building of exquisite workmanship still extant made out of tufa, bricks and lavic stones (see photo) . In the days before a public electricity supply was avaible, the Vesuvius Railway had to generate its own power. Two Brown's patent gas engines were coupled to Brown, Boveri dynamos, arranged in parallel with a bank of Tudor accumulators in such a way that when cars were not taking current the dynamos charged the batteries, and these in turn boosted the supply when demand was heavy. The building was engine shed and maintenance shop, too. Only in the later years the line was fed from the public electricity supply. A little further on, at the sides of the line, two big cylindrical tanks collected the rain water to be used for the Central machinery working. They were deliberately destroyed in the last years.

Eremo Station


The old Eremo Station

Set in a verdant and very healthy oasis, 6 km from Pugliano station, 596 meters above sea-level and near the still extant S.Salvatore church , Eremo Hotel and Vesuvius Observatory , Eremo station was a nice little and excellent pine-wood building, resembling the typical mountain cottages, where one could buy souvenirs, postcards, brochures and guide-books. A little further there was a big refreshment-room, built in 1902, made out of wood like the homonymus station. Between 1920 and 1930, chalet Eremo was turned into station, too; the old building of Eremo Station, instead, was dismantled.

 

Stazione Inferiore


Lower Station

It was one of the terminus station. Here tourists got on inclined plane. The original building, flanked from the restaurant, was destroyed by 1906 eruption. The new 1909 building in spite of 1929 and 1944 eruption survived. In 1953 it was transformed with the opportune modifications, in chair lift lower station.


 

HOW TO ARRIVE    THE VOLCANO    HISTORY AND ERUPTIONS    THE NATIONAL PARK
MEDIA GALLERY     THE OLD FUNICULAR    
THE VESUVIUS OBSERVATORY

 

Copyright ę  Vesuvioinrete.it - All right reserved