Vesuvioinrete.it, mt. Vesuvius online

 

home>funicular, railway and chairlift>plants

Railway - Plants

funicular | railway | chairlift

 history | stations | carriages | plants | cook station | photos

 

From 1903 to 1913

Here is a description of railway line; it started from Olivi Station, uphill of Pugliano Sanctuary, in an area with olive plantation; the first track is simple adhesion, with a gradient varying from 0 % to 8 %.


Starting station Olivi

After getting over motorway across an underpass, where there was a facultative stop, railway followed the coast of Bosco Catena place, that is the highest part of Portici's royal wood. Then it crossed a zone became famous for production of apricots, and after a little time reached San Vito hamlet and the homonymous baroque church , and then the "Novelle di Resina", a zone became famous for wine and fruit production. The next stop was the Power Station , a building of exquisite workmanship, still extant. After getting over power station, a rack rail type Strub started, because of the steep slope (20%). A rack locomotive with two engines of 85 H.P. each one was added in support of the single carriage, maintaining in this way a constant speed of 7 km/h.


Where the rack-rail started a a powerful push-engine was added to the carriage
(Postcards collection E.Bevere)

Here started the most exciting part of the trip. The slope was flanked with chestnuts, olives, pears, sorbs, figs, apricots and vines that accompanied travellers until the next stop, a verdant and very healthy oasis, nominated "Eremo". Here, there were and are still the church of Saint Salvatore and hotel Eremo . In this point, the rack-locomotive in support was uncoupled, and the other carriage continued its run, passing near Vesuvius Observatory and Carabineer's barracks . A short way 2,1 km long separated the Eremo from lower station.
In 1904 the new tract Napoli-Poggiomarino of Circumvesuviana Railway (S.F.S.M.) was inaugurated, with a stop in Resina, too.

From 1913 to 1955

The need to reduce further travelling times, induced Cook company to add a new tract of rail, connecting in this way, Olivi Station with Resina stop of Circumvesuviana Railway; in front of Resina Station, in fact, was built the new Station called "Vesuvio" inaugurated in 1913.


The new Vesuvio Station and the sanctuary of Pugliano

The new tract of railway began with a steep slope of 8%; an iron bridge, not more existing, permitted overpassing the below Trentola Street. Further on, on the left, passengers could just catch a glimpse of the Vesuvian aqueduct, which provides the surrounding villages with the clear fresh waters from Serino springs. After passing below another iron bridge, that served the Napoli-Trentola tramway, the little train overpassed a masonry bridge over the provincial road Resina/Observatory, and entered a deep trench excavated in the lava from 1631.


The masonry bridge over the provincial Resina/Observatory

At the exit it was already arrived to an area planted with olive-trees, where there was the old Olivi Station. But the next tract until funicular lower station remained unchanged.
 

HOW TO ARRIVE    THE VOLCANO    HISTORY AND ERUPTIONS    THE NATIONAL PARK
MEDIA GALLERY     THE OLD FUNICULAR    
THE VESUVIUS OBSERVATORY

 

Copyright ©  Vesuvioinrete.it - All right reserved